Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bittersweet


It feels like fall today, actually it has since I got rained out on Mt. Hood.  The sky is grey, temps are mild, and the first dry, brown leaves are starting to fall.  I’m always a little melancholy at the end of summer- long months of cold, wet, miserable weather are ahead.  But so are beautiful pumpkins and apples, crisp morning air, the grass will become green again with the rains.  Chili for dinner on rainy evenings, silvery frost on the ground, geese calling as they fly south for the winter.  

My mother says that autumn is her favorite time of year, and I can see why.  But still I’m a little sad.  If I was making the calendar, the year would end after the fall harvest, when the earth goes to sleep for the year and nothing happens outside from November through February but rain, rain, rain.

If I can scrape up enough money to go south for the winter, you bet your britches I’ll be in Arizona for January! Horrible cold, wet, post-holiday letdown month…

No comments:

Post a Comment