Monday, August 23, 2010

Are there really "cat people" and "dog people"?

I wonder this because I have been both during my life so far. I don't mean I liked cats and dogs equally; I mean I was a CAT PERSON, 100%, had no time for dogs, ignored and even disliked them, but since I got one for myself (another long story about how that happened) I have come around to the other point of view- I love cats, but would rather own a dog if I had to choose.

Stanley Coren, author of many popular books about dogs, thinks there is a real, innate difference between the two. (Though he also believes in innate personality differences between breeds of dog, something I'm not so sure of.)  I think it's in his book "Why We Love the Dogs We Do" (but I'm not sure, he has written a whole stack of dog books) that he posits that cat people are basically less caring, more self-centered and more shallow than dog people, and they prefer a pet that doesn't need emotional input because they are unable to give affection.  There are two kinds of cat owners- real cat people, and dog people who happen to have cats because they are unable to get a dog for the moment.

I don't buy it... Cats are not lesser than dogs... just different.  His sample was very small and probably biased.  I think he is just not a fan of cats, and trying to justify it.

So what are the real differences between the animals themselves, before talking about their respective devotees?

Affection:  Both are affectionate.  People who say cats are not affectionate must have never owned a cuddly cat!  Some dogs are also NOT affectionate, contrary to stereotypes of the mushy dog and aloof cat.

Independence: Cats win this one.  Your average cat will be quite fine left in a house all day or let outside to attend to his own agenda.  Dogs... well not so much.  But people who claim that cats are naturally solitary are wrong too. Feral cats live in colonies, and while they don't hunt together, they do socialize, even sleeping and playing together as adults.  Indoor cats should have at least one cat friend to keep them company.

Cleanliness:  Lots of people (including myself at one point) prefer cats because they are easier to live with.  Cats don't need baths, don't track mud into the house, etc.  But they do shed like crazy! After seeing both, I think cat hair is more obnoxious- there's tons of it, it's fine and floats in the air whereas dog hair just sticks to the carpet and furniture.  Dogs can be smelly, but that's only if you don't bathe or brush them. And cat litterboxes stink worse.

Quietness: Cats win.  Most dog owners are just used to it, but barking dogs are a serious nuisance for everyone else. I used to HATE barking until I got a dog who barks (whaddya know?).  Some dogs don't, actually. My previous dog, Ginger, never barked. And some cats are noisy little bastards. But at least a yowling siamese can't be heard miles away.

Trainability:  Dogs win.  Yes, SOME people have success in training cats (see the Cat Circus if you don't believe this) but ANYONE can train a dog, even your doofus redneck next-door-neighbor can make his dog "sit." But cats don't "need" training the way a dog does- their natural behavior is much less annoying/dangerous. So this might be a tie, actually.

Other factors:  Dogs generally travel better than cats- cats are more stressed out by changes in routine.  Cats have softer fur than most dogs, and are nicer to pet.  Cats purr. Dogs can guard your house, and so on. Cats claw the furniture, dogs chew it.

I think in the end, both camps are right. Dogs are needy, they take a lot more work to train them, exercise them, and they cost more, but they give you so much back in terms of trainability, devotion, they will go anywhere with you, protect you, etc. Cats are soft, affectionate, low-maintenance critters who give you companionship and affectionate for almost no work on your part.

If it comes down to "bang for your buck" it looks about equal.  It just depends on your lifestyle which one suits you better.  And people who consider themselves exclusive fans of one or the other should not be so quick to judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment